Saturday, February 11, 2012

Luigi - (Original Pattern by WolfDreamer)


Finally! My latest amigurumi project complete.

My goal is to make a Luigi and Daisy for my dear friends Alex and Kait who were recently married.  I wanted to make them as "kissing dolls" - you know, where they have magnets and they stick together?

I've made Luigi first because I found this lovely pattern for him. (Original Pattern Here) Let me say that I love this girl's patterns. She has some of the best designs out there, and best of all - they are FREE! I'm a huge fan. You should go browse her blog. Just...finish this first. ;)

I have been unsuccessful in finding a Daisy pattern, so I figured I would make Luigi first and them modify the pattern and attempt to make a Daisy. We'll see how that goes.

If you follow the link above to the original pattern, I'm going to post photos of the parts and the assembly, and my general experience with the pattern.

SETUP - yarn, hook, modifications
I used a G hook, and mostly Red Heart worsted weight yarn. My white was actually a baby yarn of worsted weight and my peach is Country Peach by Simply Soft (by far, the best skin tone  I have found.) I used a brighter green and a brighter blue than the original pattern used, but I like the overall product.

For the magnets, I'm using magnet dots that I picked up from the craft section at Wal*Mart. They seemed strong enough to penetrate felt at the store, so we will see how they do in the dolls.

HEAD
First component is, of course, the head (using my peach). Pretty straight forward. My only modification to this pattern was to use the invisible decrease stitch instead of the normal decrease. (Basically, it's a decrease single crochet using the outside loops only.)

As someone said - it sorta looks like an onion...oh well.

When stuffed firmly, I feel like this head is to round for Luigi, so I unstuffed it a bit. As I ended up doing with most of the parts. Firmly stuffed would have been great for Mario, but since Luigi is a bit gangly I found firmly stuffed parts made him a bit fat. Of course, that may be my definition of firmly stuffed, or a difference in stuffing.

NOSE AND EARS
Second and third and  the nose and ears. Again I used the invisible decrease and saw less "puckering" than with a standard decrease. The ears took a little bit of shaping, but I like the final product. You'll notice here and throughout that I use extremely long tails. I prefer to sew things together with yarn instead of thread, thus I keep the tails long to use to attach the pieces together in the end.

Nose. 

Ears.
MUSTACHE
Next is the mustache. Adorable!
Mustache - not cinched in the middle yet.
Mustache with nose. For the effect, ya know. ;)
BODY
Next, the body. Again, I overstuffed at first. It looks odd without the head or the arms, but I have faith in the pattern.

Body standing up
Body laying down.

ARMS/HANDS
Next are the hands and arms. I chose to try the thumbs. I like the way they turned out. I think if I had used normal acrylic yarn instead of baby yarn for the white, the thumbs would have more definition. But, I still prefer the version with thumbs than without. 

I decided here that I wanted to make the hands be able to be held between Daisy and Luigi. The "hands" of each arm have magnets in them.  It was here when I realized the magnets didn't work. =(

The arms side by side.
Another view of the arms.
SUSPENDERS
Next is the suspenders. Super cute and super easy.
Suspenders for the overalls.
LEGS/SHOES
Next come the legs and the shoes. These can get really round if you let them. I suggest lightly stuffing them. I used a lighter brown than the pattern used, but I like it overall.

Legs with shoes attached.
HAT
Next came the hat, which is by far my favorite part of this pattern. When I started it, I wasn't sure how it was going to turn out, but it's perfect. I love it. 

I cocked the brim a little bit for the picture. I'm not really sure why. It's very  easily molded, and I like that for this pattern.
LOGO
Now here's the hat logo. I did this differently than the pattern suggested, because I cannot begin to describe to you how much I detest working with felt. For this, I crocheted the white part as instructed, then took my green yarn and double it up and "embroidered" the "L" onto the logo. This ensures the  green matches the uniform and it gets rid of my felt issue.

Logo - I love it!
SIDEBURNS AND HAIR
The pattern instructed to use brown for the sideburns. But this bothered me because the mustache is black. Since my brown was much lighter than the original pattern, I used black for both of these. If you use a dark brown, this probably wouldn't matter quite so much.

Sideburns. So little!

The hair automatically turns itself into a semi-circle. This will come in handy with assembly!
EYES
Here's where we get to my biggest modification. Because, again, I hate hate hate felt.

For this, I used a size 5 hook (itty bitty) and embroidery floss. Black, dark blue, and white. 

Row1: 8 sc in magic ring -  change colors to blue
Row2: 2 sc in each sc, change colors to white
Row3: 2 sc in each sc, join 
This gives a perfect circle, but you can elongate it out to an oval. I also put a fleck of white in the pupil.
This picture sorta sucks, but it's all I have at the moment. You'll see them again with the finished product.
ASSEMBLY 
First, I pinned everything together. This lets me get a general idea of placement. 
This is pinned together and shows everything but the eyes. I think its cute!
Another view from the side.

First, I attached the head to the body by sewing together using the tail from the head. Then I attached the hat. I had to double sew around the neck, then push some stuffing into the neck area. This makes the body a little thinner and helps support the neck and keep his head from lolling so much.

Next came the hat, then the hair.


Then the nose and mustache.
Then the eyes, ears, and sideburns.
Then I attached the arms, right at the neck to hide some of the unsightly stitches between the green and the peach.
Then the suspenders, which I sewed on in the front and back (the criss-cross in the back.)  To keep  them secured in place, I attached them with a little embroidery floss on the shoulders. I found small, yellow buttons and sewed them on the front with white embroidery floss as well.

Last but not least, I attached the legs.


And this is the final product!
He's not a fan of standing up straight unless he's propped up, thus the odd leg positioning.



Finished product with better lighting and better positioning.
Back of Luigi!



FINAL THOUGHTS
When I do my Daisy, I already know of some modifications I plan on making. Some of the attachments were more difficult than I thought they should be, and based on some other patterns I have worked, I think I can combine some techniques and make a smoother product. I think part of it is based on my own technique. I'm not great at sewing things together without leaving seams. I will also probably use a lightly smaller hook as the "g" leaves pretty good sized gaps for me. (See his butt...) 

Overall, this was a fantastic pattern and lots of fun to make! However, I would recommend it if you are a complete beginner.



No comments: