Thursday, February 2, 2012

Molly, jobs, and up and coming projects - a tale of caution for dog owners everywhere.

Ack! I have been neglecting my crochet for the past month or so.

This is largely because I am on the hunt for a new laboratory. Which is good because I no longer have to deal with a completely incompetent boss who blames all of his problems on me.
But its bad because it sets back my thesis time.

I've been working on a photography blog as well. You can see that here: http://thephotodoctor.blogspot.com

My next projects include two baby blankets (for little boys, suggestions would be great!) and an amigurumi version of my dog Molly.

Molly is a dachshund, which means she's got a susceptibility to having back problems. (That whole long and low thing, I guess.)  She ruptured as disc in her back the week before Christmas and I about died, because this dog is the closest thing I have to a child.

TO ALL DOG OWNERS. LET THIS BE A TALE OF CAUTION.
Molly jumped up on Jamie (my fiance) Monday afternoon and yelped, like something bit her. We wrote it off as nothing. The next day she didn't want to jump up on the couch or bed and was a little sluggish and seemed to be in a bit of pain. We assumed she sprained something and moved on. Wednesday morning she couldn't walk.

I rushed her to the vet, who sent me to the emergency surgery vet, whom I didn't know (or trust).  Dr. Dismukes turned out to be a very down to earth but personable sort of guy. He gave it to me straight - because Molly had no feeling in her back legs, she only had about a 50% chance of regaining the ability to walk. In a matter of 5 hours or less, my baby went from being in slight discomfort to being possibly permanently paralyzed.

That afternoon she had surgery, which went well. We were told the rupture had actually spread across 3 vertebrae, (T10-T12 if you're medically minded).

The next morning, Dr. Dismukes called me bright and early with amazing news - she could feel!! He was excited and hopeful, but still guarded.

As of today, we are 6 weeks out of surgery and Molly is walking a little wobbly, but completely on her own. We have to fight her to keep her from trying to jump and climb stairs. She's back to her old self and I couldn't be happier.

We saw Dr. Dismukes today and he called her a little miracle dog! He couldn't believe how well she had been doing, and I can't even explain to you how blessed I feel.

My goal is to make Dr. Dismukes an amigurumi version of Molly, as my little thank you to him. We see him again in 6 weeks, so that gives me time to try and work up a decent pattern. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Family and friends, thank you so much for your support over the holidays while we were dealing with a poor, sick puppy. I have felt so much love from you guys.

And so has Molly. :)

Molly, pre-traumatic experience from April 2010. Gotta love those big blue eyes. (And yes, she is a pure blooded doxie! From the humane society no less!)


No comments: